Oh well, there is nothing as tasty as a good old homemade chicken salad. But most of the times (at least here in Denmark) it ends out in some sort of pasta salad, where you mainly get a lot of mayo, pasta, chicken and the tiniest tiny bit of vegetables. In my opinion, that’s not good enough. I believe that vegetables should play one of the leading roles in a main course, and that is why I made this more veggie friendly version and banded the pasta for now.
Besides using nice, raw and fresh vegetables to substitute the pasta with, I wanted to add something more soft and tender to go along with the crispy vegetables. I thought of eggplant which is one of my absolute favorite vegetables, especially when grilled or oven roasted, yum! And it turned out to be a really good choice as it fills the dish with more flavor and leaves you feeling more full and satisfied after eating it.
Besides getting a lot of fresh vegetables you will have both chicken and bacon (or serrano ham if you prefer) which brings a lot of flavor to the dish and it even makes it very male friendly. (read, paleo friendly, as many of my male friends wants it these days)
The dressing is made out of sour cream, but you can basically use any natural yoghurt you have on hand, just make sure it is not too low fat or too thin. The recipe calls for all sort of adaptions it is very easy and straight forward and you can add new exciting ingredients if you wish. Just run straight to the kitchen and have fun…
Chicken salad with roasted eggplant
400 g chicken breast
1 pack of bacon/Serrano ham
1 cup sweet peas
2 red peppers
10 cherry tomatoes
1 bundle of pasley
fresh thyme (optional)
2 cups/500 g sour cream
1 Tbsp mayonaise (organic in a jar, or homemade)
1-2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp liquid honey
1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or elderflower vinegar
salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F/180 °C
2. Cut the eggplants into thin slices and then into quarters and place them on a baking sheet. Give them a splash of olive oil, some fresh thyme and salt & pepper and bake them in the oven for approximately 20-25 min, until they become golden brown and tender. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat a frying pan and add some olive oil to it. Fry the chicken on medium to high heat until done. Set aside to cool.
4. Place the bacon on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-12 min or until golden brown and crisp. Set aside to cool
5. Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing in a big bowl. Use enough time to adjust the taste of it and make sure it is satisfying.
Tip: use a piece of vegetable to taste with in order to decide if it is has got the sufficient flavor to go with the rest of the salad.
6. Cut all of the vegetables into pieces and mix them with the dressing. Chop parsley and add it to the mix. Cut chicken and bacon into smaller pieces and add them along with the eggplants. Mix it all together.
Tip: Safe a little bacon and some of the roasted eggplants as topping.
Enjoy…. with a nice glass of red wine!