Last friday I had a lunch date with some of my girlfriends plus a little fellow called York (so cute and only 8 months old). Since these lovely ladies have well developed gourmet tastebuds I really wanted to make something tasty, a little different but still simple. I decided on this tomato salad which I have had great success with earlier, which is inspired by this recipe from Heidi over at 101 cookbooks. It really has an unique and very complete flavour, which is primarily due to the fact that you bake half of the tomatoes in the oven, and thereby reveal all the lovely sweetness and umami the tomatoes carry around! Besides baking the tomatoes I also added red wine balsamic which is both sweet and sour plus we get a lot of flavor from the basil & garlic oil. In the end all of this is perfectly balanced with the creamy, round mozzarella and the fresh juicy tomatoes.
The tomato salad was a great success and we ate every bit of it with great appetite…and with a lot of bread, chorizo and aioli! But in the end our full attention went to my dear friend Nanna, which showed us a beautiful little picture of a beautiful little baby inside her already round and lovely belly! So amazing and exciting.
So for now on whenever this tomato salad is on the menu, my thoughts and love will go to my dear friend and her coming adventure!
Tomato salad with oven baked tomatoes
1 kg mixed tomatoes (cherry & heirloom, preferable)
7 oz/200 g fresh good mozzarella
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup/ 3/4 dl capers
Red wine balsamic
1 tbsp honey
salt & pepper
Garlic & basil oil
Makes about 0,5 cup
0,5 a cup good olive oil, preferably one with a nutty and mild flavor
A generous handful of fresh basil leaves
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F/ 175 °C
2. Cut the tomatoes in halves. On a baking sheet mix half of the tomatoes with honey, 1 Tbsp balsamic, 1 Tbsp olive oil salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour. Set a side and cool.
3. Prepare the basil & garlic oil by adding all ingredients to a blender, and adjust the taste with salt & pepper
4. Fry capers in 1 tsp olive oil for a few minutes, set a side to cool.
5. In a bowl mix the rest of the fresh tomatoes with a few tablespoons of balsamic, garlic & basil oil and mozzarella torn in pieces. Add capers, baked tomatoes and fresh basil leaves and adjust the taste with balsamic, oil, salt and pepper.
Serve as a starter/lunch with bread or as a side dish, Enjoy!