Happy New Years everyone! I truly hope you all had a magical night with fun, flavours and great company! I had the best New Years Eve ever. We were a lot of friend together and prior to the night we have had tons of mail correspondence about decoration, menu, colour theme and just telling each other how much we looked forward to spending the night together. The menu ended up being totally incredible. It was a fish menu with a lot of colourful vegetables on the side, creamy sauces and crispy salads, yum. The dessert was my responsibility and I chose to make my 3 layer ice cream cake with a chocolate-avocado mousse on the top (click here for recipe). It was once again a success and I can only recommend you to try it for yourself. I was even clever enough to make 6 extra small cakes in some muffin cups and store them in my freezer. So now I have small super dessert to sweeten my cold and dark january nights, yay!
Now that we have entered a new year people always seem to be very keen on having a healthy, positive start! That is why I have chosen to post a healthy, light and ‘easy to grab’ kind of recipe, to provide you with a healthy snack/lunch alternative for busy days.
Savoury muffins filled with light and creamy ricotta cheese, vegetables and whole grain flour. I personally think it is really cool to have your vegetables in a muffins it just makes it a little more fun to eat them. This muffin recipe is a basic one. It has some very mild flavours from the spinach, red onions and ricotta. This makes it a very good ground recipe where you can add extra flavours from other lovely ingredients. I have added some different options and ideas for filling in the recipe part, which can inspire you to make your own twist to the recipe. Next time I will add some grated cheese, garlic and rosemary to mine.
Spinach muffins w. onions and ricotta
Makes 10-12 muffins
1 cup ricotta (250 g/8 oz)
3-4 medium/large eggs
1/1/4 cup wholegrain flour – spelt, whole wheat, graham (3 dl)
3/4 cup refined flour – spelt, wheat (2 dl)
2 red onions
3 big handful of spinach (100 g)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup water (0,5 dl)
1 handful of pumpkin seeds (for topping)
Optional extra filling
A handful grated cheese of your choice
Herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme etc.)
5-6 pieces of salty crisp ham (Serrano, parma)
3-4 cloves of garlic
1. Preheat oven to 450í? ?í? í? ?í? °F/ 225í? ?í? í? ?í? °C (using a regular oven, no hot air)
2. Slice onions and use a skillet to sautí? ?í? © in olive oil on medium heat until golden. Then add the rinsed spinach and stir for about a minute. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix all of the wet ingredients together (use 4 eggs if you add extra filling). Then add all of the dry ingredients, and at last the filling.
4. Use a spoon to divide the batter into muffins cup, drizzle with olive oil, extra salt and pumpkin seeds.
5. Bake in oven atí? ?í? 450í? ?í? í? ?í? °F/ 225í? ?í? í? ?í? °C for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350í? ?í? í? ?í? °F/ 175 í? ?í? °C and finish them with additional 20 minutes or until firm and golden.