I hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas filled with food, family, love, laughter and complete relaxation! Once again, I had a lovely Christmas and it somehow seems never to disappoint me. I have just returned from Copenhagen where we have been visiting my little beautiful nieceí? ?í? who is still absolutely adorable andí? ?í? growing soí? ?í? fast. Today, is the first day back to reality; which includes a workout, returning gifts and making healthy, wholesome and some of my favourite winter food.
This salad has become a bit of a classic around here. It is very simple, filled with seasonal goodies and a traditional guest at the dinner table on Christmas Eve. The salad is powerful, but yet sweet and very juicy which makes it a perfect match to the fatty and flavour filled Christmas food. And the kale part is just great if you want to add a little fibre and wholesomeí? ?í? satiety to your stomach.
Kale is a wonderful vegetable, but you need to consider how you prepare it. It is very coarse and can seem a little frightening to some, especially if you have had a previous bad experience with it. I have already posted one salad including kale. In that version, I baked the kale and made it into crispy flakes which is an amazing way to have it, and quite different as well. In this version, I have chopped the kale very thoroughly. Chopping kale like this becomes very easy to chew and you will not get the coarse and unpleasant feeling in your mouth.
Pomegranate is a must in any winter salad, dessert, breakfast etc.. And the same goes for the apples and luckily these two are a perfect match. The almonds have been dressed a bit for this salad. They have been gently roasted in a pan with honey and balsamic which give them a little edge and some extra aroma.
I know it is a bit too late to have this on Christmas Eve, but then you can have it any other day. As long as the kale and pomegranate are in season this salad will be perfect to have at any time of the day. And since it is healthy, wholesome and low in calories it is pretty good when you want to loose those extra Christmas pounds!
Winter salad w. kale & pomegranate
10-12 big leaves of kale (250-300 g)
3/4 cup almonds (100 g)
2 Tbsp red wine balsamic
1 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp red wine balsamic or a cherry vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
1 tsp dijon mustard
Salt & pepper
1. Heat a pan and dry roast the almonds for 1-2 minutes. Add the balsamic and as soon as it is gone add the honey and stir for 1 minute. Transfer almonds to a baking shed and let them cool. Afterwards chop them coarsely.
2. Wash and dry the kale. Remove the stems and use a food processor or mini chopper to chop the kale into a very fine texture. You can use a sharp knife.
3. Prepare the pomegranateí? ?í? and cut the apple into thin boats and mix all of it it with the kale.
4. Make the dressing by stirring everything thoroughly together and season to taste (The balsamics can vary a bit in sweetness and flavour so make sure you adjust the amount you use according to your own balsamic).
5. Stir everything together and serve. This salad is great the next day and even the day after that.
Enjoy….and have a Happy New Year!